Open to graduate students interested in working with children and adolescents in a school setting, the Intensive Program Internship falls under the school-based team at Communities In Schools of Chicago and takes place over the course of an entire academic year (September — May/June).
Individuals pursuing advanced degrees in psychology, social work, counseling, expressive therapies, or a related field are encouraged to apply.
What You Will Do
- Learn to conduct initial assessments (Strengths & Risks, Social-Emotional Academic Development, Questionnaire on Self-Regulation, Developmental Relationships)
- Run individual and group sessions with a focus on social-emotional learning
- Maintain accurate student files
- Stay current with service data entries (using SIRP notes); and
- Participate on various teams in the school setting, as assigned (for example, a Behavior Health Team or a Culture/Climate Team)
How to Apply
“It’s a challenging internship, but it’s made possible with good supports and resources from Communities In Schools of Chicago. I was given the chance to take ownership of this experience through choosing which group I wanted to run and building a caseload of students of all ages.”
Jane Addams School of Social Work, University of Illinois – Chicago, Class of 2021
For more details, browse our Intensive Program Internship brochure.